Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fitness Tip: Sleep...

My lovely bed.
I know you are asking how is sleep a fitness tip it is I swear. Well according to studies the better your sleep habits the more likely you are to lose weight. Here is one article from Shape.com. Yeah there are a ton more but, I am lazy and apparently suffering from insomnia tonight. Which means I am going to end up taking one of my Melatonin pills. I take 1mg of melatonin because my doctor tried to put me on some chemical laden pills to help with my crappy sleep habits. Well I have spent years keeping my body free of chemicals as much as possible because I have so many chemical allergies. Yeah, the doctors hate me because I make them think about the best ways to treat me instead of the easy way. Yeah no easy button here. Anyway the doctor decided on melatonin since it is a synthetic of a hormone already produced by the body that helps you sleep. There are some side effects; but, when aren't there? I actually do like the pills and when I take them I am out within 5 minutes and into a lovely sleep coma... well not a coma because I do wake up from taking them fairly easily and am functional. Anyway I actually am happy with the melatonin pills and they aren't very expensive either I think I spent under 5 bucks for a bottle of 160 at Wal*Mart and since I don't take them everyday and even if I did you are only supposed to take 1 20 minutes before you go to sleep. Let me tell you though take it then lay down cause you are gonna pass out. Well if you are like me you are going to pass out.

Now for the possible cause of my insomnia. I am blaming MythBusters completely I have been watching all the episodes on netflix for the past several days and yeah I have decided my dream job would be working there. I mean come on they get to play with all sorts of cool stuff not limited to BLOWING STUFF UP! Yes, I am a science geek and love watching sciencey shows (yes, I just said sciencey =P) I like learning about science but, I also like it to be fun. I am a little ADD I also don't sit well nor do I typically have linear thought. I am constantly surprised at my ability to stay on topic as much as I do on this blog since my brain is going in 50 different directions all at once. Strangely though all my directions do have something to do with the topic in which I am speaking about. You just have to be able to work through things as quickly as I do then realize when I switch back to the original topic again and go with it. Back to MythBusters right now they are trying to bust a Myth from one of my all time FAVORITE movies Real Genius which has me completely enthralled. Even more so than all of the other Myth that they have gone about busting on alcohol. I am not an alcoholic or anything I just have heard so many of the myths they have gone about busting because I used to be a bartender.

Well to the fitness aspect when you don't sleep your body doesn't function properly and when it doesn't function properly you are more likely to hold on to fat instead of losing it. So, go to bed get some good sleep your waistline will thank you. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will delete comments that are rude or inappropriate. Please be respectful to not only me but, fellow commenters.