Monday, June 4, 2012

Weight Loss Tip: Portion Size

This kind of goes with the entry about keeping a food diary but, I felt that it deserved its very own entry. I have said several times that I still eat "crap" food still I just make sure to keep within my calories for the day and not go into starvation mode over it. The way that I do this is by looking at the calories and the portion size. As an example today I ate two tuna sandwiches with potato chips. Mind you this was for lunch and dinner.  Anyways a serving size of chips is 1 ounce and that equals 150 calories well with each meal I ate .5 ounces which is quite a lot and means I ate 75 calories with each meal. The way I did this wasn't by counting out chips but, by using my favorite thing in the whole wide world my food scale. It is a digital one and it cost about 13 dollars. It has on and off and a tare function. Tare means after you place your bowl/plate/napkin/whatever on to it you can reset it to 0 so you don't have to do the math for the food you are placing into the vessel. They have way fancier ones that do a ton of stuff but, for me I knew I just needed the tare function cause it makes it easier on me in the long run. I think I can change the units too but, I haven't tried I do conversions all the time from ounces to grams etc. because of my classes so, I just keep it on ounces lol. I know I hate math and yet I do it to change grams to ounces etc. Anyways back to my point if a can says a serving size is 1/2 a cup that is what you should eat. I know how it was when I started eating just the serving size I was starving or so, I thought but, it was completely worth the hunger pains.

My other tip for eating the right portions is I used smaller plates and bowls. Think children size plates I know the thought of eating off of Mater and Lightning McQueen is not thought of to be right for an adult but, the size of the bowls, plates, and cups are the right portion size for an adult as well as a child. I personally do not use kiddie plates I use smaller plates and bowls yes but, mine are blue and I got them from Target (I think) in the dollar bins and no one who sees them ever thinks omg she is so eating off a kids plate. They do notice that it is smaller but, when they see how much food I am eating and I explain that I am eating the portion sizes for each of my foods and my meal is around 300 calories they go oh wow really? It just goes to show that we are all about the up size here in the states. I am always full when I go to bed and through out the day I eat a ton of food. Yes, I mostly eat fruits and veggies but, I like fruits and veggies they are some of my favorite comfort foods. Yes, this fat girl has always loved fruits and veggies strange to hear but, we will get to that later on I am sure. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will delete comments that are rude or inappropriate. Please be respectful to not only me but, fellow commenters.