Saturday, January 25, 2014

Vocation or Calling



 I have to write a paper for school where I am asked to write why my chosen profession is my calling and not just a vocation.

 This is my free write that I need to fix for the paper but I wanted to share:

http://tobyamidornutrition.com/2013/03/celebrating-national-registered-dietitian-day/
picture from
I never even thought of becoming a Dietitian it was never even in my sights. I started school in 2000 with the goal of being a chef that did not work out. While I am an excellent cook and I was able to do anything that was asked of me in the classes; I am short. Most of the people in my classes were considerably taller than I am and they would burn me with their pans near my face or on my face. I am not vain but, I also did not want to become disfigured for something that I didn’t really love doing as a job. Fast forward a little and I got married and started teaching preschool in the beautiful state of Tennessee. After 5 years I divorced and moved back home to California where I was told that I would have to go back to school to be a preschool teacher again. I decided to go back and become an elementary school teacher. While in my first semester I took a few education courses and realized I really hated parents. I know that sounds really bad but, its true kids are great; parents on the other hand are not so great because they never believe their kid is anything other than an angel. This left me lost for about a semester where I continued to just work on my general education requirements. I worked at a college campus under an educational advisor and because of that I had to go over so many different degrees making sure that she had all the information she needed to give the students coming in for her to advise that is when I said “I want to be a nurse.” Fast forward to February 2013 I was with a wonderful man we were planning on getting married until I found out I was pregnant with my beautiful son. Long story short I was never supposed to have kids and it came to a shock to the both of us. He decided he couldn’t be a husband or a father leaving me to become a single mom. I decided to change my major to nutrition which may sound really strange but, it made sense my GPA is not at a 3.0 for the nursing program and becoming a single mom I knew I needed to finish school sooner and I would have the option of an entry level masters in nursing. Seemed like a win, win until I realized in one of those crazy eureka moments nutrition is where I was always meant to be. Remember how I said I was married then divorced well he was a very abusive man and throughout our marriage he forced me to gain weight. When we split I weighed 380 pounds on my tiny 5 foot frame. I left my marriage with my life but, I was by no means healthy so, I decided to lose weight. What an easy task? This decision is what started me down a very long road to learning my calling. I started researching online everything about nutrition, exercise, and weight loss. I made small changes then big changes and slowly changed my whole life around I lost 200 pounds from October 2009 to November 2012. I gained muscle and a new outlook on life. I became a better me and I would always share my story of weight loss and my secrets to keeping the foods I love in my diet while making better choices. I had chosen every profession or vocation before nutrition because I have a deep need to help people. I have always wanted to help people but, I never in a million years would have thought that nutrition would be where my heart lies. It took such a weird string of events for God to get me to listen to him about where I was supposed to be. I think somewhere deep down I always knew that this was my calling since I started out with wanting to make food for people but, I never could have come to the conclusion of being a dietitian without first having to live the life I have lead until this point. Now that I know where I am supposed to be nothing is ever going to stop me from doing my calling.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will delete comments that are rude or inappropriate. Please be respectful to not only me but, fellow commenters.